America’s Public Television Stations (APTS) seeks a Legislative and Communications Assistant to provide general administrative support to the government relations and communications staff. The position will report to the Vice President of Government and Public Affairs and will work closely with all members of the government relations and communications staff.
The Legislative and Communications Assistant’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Draft, coordinate editing process, proofread, format and send communications, including the weekly Government Relations Update and other messages to APTS members.
- Research, draft and format legislative, federal and station information, including Member of Congress profiles, advocacy documents and other research documents as requested.
- Keep legislative sections of APTS website up-to-date, help with news sections of APTS website and assist with other website tasks as needed.
- Track and distribute relevant press articles to APTS staff in a timely fashion.
- Maintain press database.
- Maintain legislative database, files and materials.
- Assemble and organize informational packets, and other necessary documents and materials; coordinate mass mailings as needed.
- Perform administrative tasks for the grassroots campaign including updating the grassroots database.
- Coordinate logistics for conference calls, webinars, and briefings for internal and external audiences, including member stations, other national public media organizations, and Members of Congress and their staff.
- Assist Government Relations and Public Affairs Team with preparations for the annual Public Media Summit (February 26-28, 2018) and manage and run the master slide deck for the general sessions at The Public Media Summit.
- Receive and follow up on phone and email inquiries from APTS members, other public broadcasting organizations and the public.
- Provide administrative support to the Government Relations and Public Affairs Team.
- Train and supervise/oversee the work of legislative interns.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail; Ability to synthesize information and follow-up/follow through.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multitask, take direction, and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Knowledge of the Legislative Process is preferred.
- Experience with updating websites and electronic mass mailing systems is desired.
- Experience with Cision, Constant Contact, Knowlegis, Phone2Action, WordPress and social media platforms is a plus.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of America’s Public Television Stations.
Mid-30s. Advancement opportunities available.
The Legislative and Communications Assistant position includes an excellent benefits package and pleasant working environment. APTS is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit a cover letter with resume, brief writing sample and salary history by Monday, December 11, 2017, to Tammye F. Heatley, APTS, 2100 Crystal Drive, Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22202, fax application to 202.654.4236, or e-mail to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Visit www.apts.org.